There is nothing better than a hot bowl of chili while watching a winter game. Cold weather, great friends, football or hockey, and an awesome beverage (we had my Spiced Pomegranate Martinis) make a Sunday pretty much perfect! I love that this vegetarian chili is both great for you and incredibly flavorful, plus you cant go wrong with a one pot meal!
- 2 Sweet Onions, Diced
- 2 Cups Carrots, Diced
- 1 Red Onion, Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, Diced
- 1 Sweet Potato, Diced
- 4 Tomatoes, De-seeded and Diced
- 1 Red, 1 Orange, 1 Yellow Pepper, Diced
- 1 Can Black Beans, Rinsed
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn
- 2 Cups Zucchini, Diced
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Splash of Olive Oil
1. In a large pot over medium heat add diced onion and garlic and a splash of olive oil. Let sweat with lid on until onions turn translucent- 10-ish minutes.
2. I dice each vegetable after I add the last into the pot so it lets each group of veggies cook for a while, if you prepare all veggies beforehand, allow 3-5 minutes of cooking time before adding next ingredient!
3. Add diced carrots and celery, combine well.
4. Add diced peppers, combine well.
5. Add tomatoes, sweet potato, and zucchini, combine well.
6. Add sweet corn and rinsed beans, combine well.
7. Add all spices, mix well.
8. Let simmer for about 15 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
9. Serve hot and enjoy!
I love serving this chili as both an appetizer with blue corn chips or as a meal with just a bit of parsley as a garnish. It is super warming and definitely filling, which I love on cold winter days.
Do you have a favorite go-to for a sports game? Let me know in the comments below!